Ethos and Values
'Inspire, Learn, Succeed'
Upton Westlea Statement of Intent
At Upton Westlea our vision is to create a primary school in which it’s pupils ‘succeed, learn and are inspired’. We want to help each child become a caring, confident and curious young person who has a passion for learning and achieving. We will do this by supporting, guiding and inspiring our children through excellent teaching practices. By working with our families we will create an aspirational school community in which everyone is valued and successes are celebrated.
The School Council (September 2019) believe:
'Upton Westlea is a helpful, kind and encouraging school. We all treat each other the way we would want to be treated and we all work together as a team.'
- Kind Teachers
- Stand United - Working Together in Hard Times
- Work as a Team
- Playing Outside
- Teachers help us Learn
- Good Books
It is also a place where:
- Every child is safe
- Every person is valued and respected
- Efforts and achievements are celebrated
- Every person is encouraged to make healthy life choices
- Everyone is encouraged to make a positive contribution
- Every child is given the opportunity to achieve their potential
- Learning is enjoyed.
Work in partnership with families to create an aspirational school community.
Establish opportunities that will expand horizons.
Support, guide and inspire through excellent teaching practices.
Teach our children to be caring, confident and curious individuals.
Lay the foundations to motivate and challenge our children to achieve academic success.
Enable all children to develop resilience, independence and self-discipline.
Appreciate the uniqueness of each child and recognise their potential.
Upton Westlea Expectations:
- Staff have high expectations of themselves and all children.
- Teachers are expected to import knowledge accurately and with enthusiasm which generates high levels of commitment from children.
- We expect children to make rapid and sustained progress in lessons.
- We expect teachers to systematically check understanding, intervening in a timely manner when needed.
- We expect children to be challenged.
- We expect teachers to regularly provide constructive feedback through a variety of methods e.g. verbal, marking etc.