School Sports Premium
PE and Sports Grant
The Government is determined to secure a significant and lasting legacy from the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and to develop children’s enjoyment of sport and physical activity from an early age. As a result, the Prime Minister announced in 2012 £300m of funding, nationally, over 2 years, for primary school age PE and sport.
The purpose of the grant is to fund improvements to the provision of PE and sport, for the benefit of pupils aged 5-11 years old, so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles. The Education Funding Agency (EFA) has now agreed a final allocation of £8,000 per eligible school plus £5 per pupil. This is hopefully going to be doubled in 2017-18.
In terms of impact on pupils, school believes that the following are true:
- Pupils are becoming physically fitter
- Pupils have improved mental wellbeing
- Pupils have had experience of sports/ activities they would never normally have come across e.g. street dancing etc
- Pupils have improved aspirations
- Pupils enjoy and participate in high quality P.E. lessons due to improved equipment and an exciting P.E. scheme of work
- Pupils experience the competiveness of sport due to Intra and Inter competitions.